Monday, October 23, 2006

Disturbing Dream #3: F Frist


STRIP #32
Today's strip is totally insane. Too insane probably. I love it, though. It's the third in a line of crazy dream comics, with the first featuring Daniel Negreanu shooting Mike Matusow and the second telling the heart wrenching story of Phil Hellmuth getting eaten by a shark. I'd like to thank +EV fan and fellow PokerXFactor subscriber tehmac for suggesting the final panel with the Fossilman line and the bones. For those of you who don't know, Greg Raymer's official website is at FossilmanPoker.com.

Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist was the one who pushed through the recent gambling legislation, as I'm sure most of you know. He's most likely going to run for president in 2008. This is my favorite part of his Wikipedia page --

While in medical school, Frist obtained cats from animal shelters, under pretense of adoption as pets, for school research experiments in which he killed the animals. In a 1989 autobiography, Frist described how he "spent days and nights on end in the lab, taking the hearts out of cats, dissecting each heart." After some time, Frist said "[I] lost my supply of cats," so he chose to deceive animal shelters . . .

In the original script for today's comic I had Frist say "I'll never see my cats again" in the third panel, but I later changed it because I figured not enough people knew the crazy cat story.

We had the fourth weekly +EV tournament yesterday and it was a lot of fun. Alfredo64 busted me for the bounty and Aces4Peru took first place, winning the first issue of the +EV comic book as well, which will be printed soon! It was a good day for private tournaments and I won the Euro Donk2Shark, hosted by L8Bloomer, who took fourth in the +EV tourney. I knocked out L8Bloomer on the very first hand of the Euro Donk2Shark, which paved my way to the victory.

Wednesday's strip will also address the gaming ban, but don't worry, no one gets eaten. It does feature another member of Congress, though, and an angry letter written by Corbin.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome, I love the fact he's being eaten off of a poker table, nice touch! And the final line... well... what I can say - pure genius! ;)

10/23/2006 12:58 AM  
Blogger Bobby Crosby said...

Ha, thanks, buddy. I just edited the post to give you credit for the line and then I saw your comment.

10/23/2006 1:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on the win! And excellent comic as usual! :)

10/23/2006 9:42 AM  
Blogger PenaltyMan said...

Awful story about Frist being a cat-butchering murderer. Awesome that Raymer/Gold could take a bite out of crime ;-)

Well done as always, good man.

10/23/2006 5:07 PM  
Blogger Bobby Crosby said...

Yeah, Frist is totally disgusting. I wish Greg Raymer and Jamie Gold would really eat him! I'm sure they want to, of course, but they're afraid of getting caught.

10/23/2006 5:23 PM  
Blogger PenaltyMan said...

I should also comment on how you drew Gold in that pic as somewhat of a soulless robot, with the jawline making his head look mechanical and the eyes without color...just staring. The scene really cracked me up.

Once again, kudos Bobby :-)

10/23/2006 6:57 PM  
Blogger Bobby Crosby said...

I don't draw the strip! A mysterious man named Tiger Claw does, and I agree that his depiction of Jamie Gold as a soulless robot was a nice touch.

10/23/2006 7:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lame. Who is Tiger Claw?

10/24/2006 10:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The art in not bad, but the writing could use some work.
Question, same frames- 1, and 4
What up with dat?

10/24/2006 2:40 PM  
Blogger Bobby Crosby said...

"Who is Tiger Claw?"

A superstitious guy who thinks the name Tiger Claw is lucky. The following review of "+EV" praises his art quite a bit and it was written by someone who dislikes me, which makes it even more impressive --

Comixpedia Review

"Question, same frames- 1, and 4 What up with dat?"

I don't understand your question. They're not the same image -- Violet is in panel 4 and she wasn't in panel 1, for one thing. Also, check out the most popular comics on the internet. Most of them have nearly identical images for every panel in each strip.

10/24/2006 4:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Um...okay dokay...You copy pasted, or whatever to add violet to the seen...big difference? Corbin is exactly the same.
And NO, the better comics out there DO NOT copy exact frames like that. It's an easy out for a lazy artist.

Oh and I did check out your Comixpedia Review which brought my attention to another poker comic, I will leave out the name out of respect for you, but after viewing both of the poker comics, I think your writing and art lacks something.

10/25/2006 8:51 AM  
Blogger Bobby Crosby said...

Anonymous, you apparently have never read any of the most popular comics on the web. Please look through the archives of some of these comics and notice that almost every single panel in each strip is from the same angle and that the characters rarely even change much from panel to panel --

http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com/
http://www.pvponline.com/

I believe those are the second and third most popular comics on the internet, behind "Penny Arcade." I hate them both, but I'm just showing examples of how they actually have far lazier art than "+EV." Also, I don't draw "+EV," as I've gone over many times.

And please don't lie and say that you hadn't heard of the other comic, LOL. I'm 99 percent sure that you're only posting here because you're a big fan of that comic and trying to make mine look bad obviously. And that's hilarious that you'd say that the art for my comic lacks something in comparison to that other comic right now. I can even draw better than their current artist, and I'm HORRIBLE at drawing.

10/25/2006 4:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home