Monday, March 12, 2007

My Best Friend

STRIP #92
I knew I wanted to do a strip about Corbin being sick, since I was just extremely sick for a week, and the first thing that popped into my head was that Big Blind was simply a fever-induced hallucination. But who knows, maybe Violet was mistaken and Corbin did go to the doctor and meet a man named Big Blind, and maybe if you're lucky you'll get to read about him in the 2013 version of +EV. You're welcome.

We had an awesome +EV tourney on Sunday, with MoobaS busting me for the bounty, Telma123 winning the whole thing and the comic that goes with it, and Dantalion, otherwise known as Dr. Ashen, finishing second, even though he's almost never played poker! Here's an interview with the doctor himself!

BOBBY: Tell me a little about yourself.

DR. ASHEN: I'm Dr. Stuart Ashen, and I play poker as "Dantalion". Mostly I'm known for being that foul-mouthed British guy who reviews crappy gadgets on YouTube.

BOBBY: When did you start playing poker and what has been your biggest accomplishment so far in the game?

DR. ASHEN: I've never really started playing poker! I've played occasionally in the +EV tournaments online, and once or twice in real life. I've probably played about 12 times in total. This total lack of experience, coupled with my rudimentary understanding of the game, means I'm pretty useless. In fact, I'm probably the ultimate combination of donkey and fish. A fishkey!

My biggest -- and only -- accomplishment is coming second tonight in the +EV tournament. It was absolutely down to blind luck. If a decent player had the cards I was dealt, they could have won the whole tournament in 7 seconds flat and gone on to become President of Algeria.

BOBBY: What's your favorite +EV comic?

DR. ASHEN: February 28, 2007. It's all in the faces -- +EV characters always have excellent facial expressions, but Tiger Claw really outdid himself there. The third panel where Corbin looks into the future with a mixture of all-seeing wisdom and hard-set loathing, whilst Violet shouts in angry disbelief, is perfect. Great pay-off in the last panel too.

BOBBY: How did you manage to stay focused during all the swings of the marathon heads up battle, and did it destroy your soul when your K4 lost to 96 in that hand that would have won the match for you?

DR. ASHEN: Unfortunately I didn't stay focused. The stress got to me and I was constantly twitching and screaming, pausing only to vomit in terror when I went all-in. Also, I wet my pants so many times that I had to be treated for dehydration when the tournament ended.

The K4 loss...? I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if thousands of chips cried out in anguish and then were silenced.

BOBBY: Anything else you'd like to tell the fans?

DR. ASHEN: It's later than you think.

Thank you, Dr. Ashen! He's hilarious. Be sure to check out his site.

And hey, click here to read an interview with Sunday's +EV tourney winner Telma123, who just submitted his answers!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home